PPH South-Mid Region
Headquarters established in San Antonio, Texas in 2016
The Paws for Purple Hearts South-Mid Region team established its regional headquarters in San Antonio, Texas in 2016, and opened up a newly-renovated state of the art facility there in 2017.
We proudly help our nation’s Warriors in a variety of ways. We provide therapy with our service dogs in training to Warrior patients of the South Texas Veterans Health Care System (STVHCS) and the Central Texas Veterans Health Care System. Through our innovative form of canine assisted therapy called Service Dog Training Canine Assisted Therapy, Warriors facing PTSD and TBI have an opportunity to reduce the severity of their symptoms by participating in our structured therapy sessions, during which they help prepare and train a Paws for Purple Hearts service dog that will be placed with a fellow wounded Warrior.
We train Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, and mixes of the two breeds to become top-grade assistance dogs to help improve the lives of our nation’s Warriors from all over the region.
- Our service dogs assist Warriors who face challenges such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), traumatic brain injury (TBI), and/or mobility impairments at no cost to the recipient.
- Our facility dogs help make institutional facilities more welcoming and can add a touch of home for recovering Warriors.
- The Specialist Therapy Dogs we place with behavioral health professionals (e.g., therapists, counselors) can make their work more effective by increasing patient responsiveness.
Military service members, veterans, and their families in the San Antonio area can participate in our free Warrior Pet Dog Training classes, conducted by graduates of the prestigious Bergin University of Canine Studies. Watch our Events Calendar for upcoming classes.
- Martin B. – Program Instructor, facilitating therapy and training. Staff member of Paws for Purple Hearts since 2016.
- Lindsey V. – Program Instructor, facilitating therapy and training. Staff member of Paws for Purple Hearts since 2016.
- Joy and Tim S. – Dedicated, hardworking, and motivated volunteer Puppy Parents and General Volunteers since the Fall of 2017
- 2017 – Started Social Therapy visits at Audie L. Murphy Memorial VA Hospital, Kerrville VA Hospital, Austin VA Outpatient Clinic, and the Texas Challenge Academy
- 2017 – Opened fully-renovated San Antonio facility to serve the Region better
- Noah – a Golden Retriever who absolutely loves to be right by your side! He is a great learner and loves to please. Noah enjoys taking naps in front of the television and chasing a tennis ball! Follow Noah on Facebook at #PPHNoah!
- Schatzie – a Labrador Retriever who came to us from our partnership with Bergin University of Canine Studies. She is a spunky little friend who loves to take naps in the arms of the Warriors she helps during therapy. Follow Schatzie on Facebook at #PPHSchatzie!
- Lucy – recently joined us from Project2Heal; stay tuned for more updates!
- Rusty – recently joined us from Project2Heal; stay tuned for more updates!
- We provide social therapy to patients in the Recreational Therapy, Polytrauma group.
- We conduct social therapy and informational sessions about service dogs to the Veterans in the Vista Serena group (an off-campus substance abuse recovery program) in collaboration with a VA therapist.
- We deliver social therapy to patients in the community living group
- We provide social therapy to clinic mental health patients.
- We visit the Academy quarterly to conduct educational and service dog-in-training socialization visits with at-risk youth who are participating in a five-month residential military-style program hosted by the Texas Military Department.
Caring Spirits, Serving Warriors
We Need Your Support
Donations to Paws for Purple Hearts can change a warrior’s life from hopelessness to optimism.
Your generous, tax-deductible donation helps thousands of warriors facing the visible and invisible wounds of war. Our Canine-Assisted Warrior Therapy helps them heal as they help others – all with the goal of raising top tier service dogs for veterans and active duty service members with mobility and trauma challenges.
We place service dogs with service members and veterans facing challenges such as:
– Mobility issues. Our dogs can help with tasks such as: retrieving items, pushing buttons for elevators and doors, turning lights on/off, bracing to help move from/to wheel-chairs or to navigate stairs, plus many more.
– Diagnosed trauma-related conditions such as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) or Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). Our dogs help by performing a variety of tasks specifically designed to reduce symptom severity.
Through our thorough application process, our qualified staff determines if a PPH service dog will be a fit for your specific needs.
Paws for Purple Hearts is the first program of its kind to offer therapeutic intervention for Veterans and active-duty military.
Under the guidance of PPH instructors, service members engage with specially-bred Golden Retriever and Labrador puppies.
PTSD patient-trainers must overcome their emotional and affective numbness in order to heighten their tone of voice, bodily movements.
Donation Dollars at Work
With just $19/month gift you will ensure a future service dog has all of its vaccinations, training equipment, and of course toys to get started in their life altering education.
Your gift of any amount will be a tremendous help to our Service Dogs in Training. It costs $52/month in dog food alone for just one dog.
Paws for Purple Hearts Dogs are trained to the most exacting certification because our veterans deserve the best, and thanks to you, they will never have to pay for any of our services. It costs more than $33,000 to raise just one dog to this high standard.